It rises on the slopes of Alburni mountains, 600 meters' altitude, on the side facing Tirrenic Coast; this position enjoys a favolous view which provides to glimpse Paestum, Sorrento and Capri. Town's name derives from Pistilius, Praedium Pistillorus foundator, but there aren't certain witnesses.
According to an other legend, Postiglione would be born after Paestum inhabitants' escape from Saracens' raids. First name's part would derive from Paestum and the last one would depend on location's features translated froom Greek language (windy and sunny). Roman's settlements, in Vignali and Zancuso places, and the presence of the ancient route in Popilia street (with stations) represents the town's activity during Roman and Lucan period.
Norman castle of eleventh century testifies the feudal origin of the town, reached also in Medieval period. Its first feudatory was Guglielmo from Postiglione, to whom Sanseverino and Rizzo families succeeded.
When Carlo the fifth, during Holy Roman Empire, took the fiefs to this Neapolitan family, these lands passed to Count Morone and then back to the previous owners.
The stately company, created by Caracciolo principles in Postiglione, joined the big local commerce exporting agricultural products in Cita Principality and in Naples.
Postiglione and Controne fiefs were permuted by Bourbons in 1759. Its feudal territory and the dimension of the baronial defenses were enlarged with continuous usurpations against University's property, in particular during the re-feudalization in the seventeenth century.
During this period a lot of conflicts between the population and the local baronage exploded periodically, but in particular in 1799 and during the french decade. Only after the abolition of feudalism the town returned to its possessions, revoked by Caracciolo's.
The town partecipated actively to the local rebelions in 1820/21, demonstrated by the existence of the sect guided by Domenico Caputo and called "Philanthropists on the Alburno". This guide went to the neighboring countries to diffuse informations and extabilish the contacts because Postiglione (at the centre of the country characterized by Controne, Petina, Postiglione, Sicignano and Serre towns) belonged to Campagna's District of Two Sicilies Reign and it had an intensive anti-reactionary ferment.
The Mayor Francesco Antonio Rossi offered solemn celebrations to the returned decurions and he was accused to be a speaker of the sect and to have proposed the distruction of Persano's wood (symbol of Borboni's presence in Campania and hunting home of the King Carl the third).
After many years, the population partecipated with the same fervor to the revolts guided by brigandage; some inhabitants' heroic deeds are recalled together with Alburni robbers ones.